Thursday, October 3, 2013

Review: Anthrax: Anthems

 
So I picked up Anthrax: Anthems, which was released on March 19, 2013, and let me just say wow. Again, I need to re-iterate: "WOW!"
 
I've been a fan of Anthrax for a long time. They were one of the first bands I got into when I started listening to metal way back in the 80's. (Yeah...I'm getting old.) Anthrax is still my favorite Thrash Metal band as one of the members of the Big Four. (For the uninitiated: Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth.) Through the years they have continually kept me happy with their music. So, when I heard they were doing a cover album, I naturally had to check it out.
 
What an amazing tribute to some amazing bands! The E.P. begins with Anthem by Rush, and damn if it doesn't sound almost exactly like Rush with a slightly heavier sound. This track alone made me nearly fall out of my chair with how perfectly it was played. This effect was only reinforced when I heard the next track, TNT originally recorded by AC/DC. I had to pick up my jaw after hearing this. Not only does Anthrax manage to sound like AC/DC, but Joey Belladonna manages to sound like the second coming of Bon Scott which is completely awesome. The next song I'll mention is great not only for the fact that it's another excellent cover, but it's been stuck in my head for days and I'm actually happy about it, Jailbreak originally recorded by Thin Lizzy. This is probably my favorite track on this CD. The entire CD is great with covers from Boston, Cheap Trick, and Journey, you just can't go wrong with Anthems.
 
RATING: 10/10
 
Go out and buy this on CD or Amazon.com right now. You won't regret it!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment